Friday, April 08, 2005

Hanging On By a Virtual Thread

<boring, esoteric whine>
Don't get me wrong. I think blogs are great and I'm pleased to have mine hosted for free by Google's Blogger; however, the technical difficulties that Blogger frequently experiences are almost paralyzing. Often, you just can't publish posts.

I suspect there's more than a little disarray behind the scenes at Blogger. It just feels like they don't have their act together. If you want to peer behind the Blogger curtain, you really need to look no further than this recent post & subsequent updates on the official Blogger blog, buzz.blogger.com:


Source: Blogger

That's right. A feature that they released to combat their buggy system is, in fact, itself buggy.

Blogger is quickly becoming the victim of its own success, and I'm confident the numbers of users and hits are growing faster than Google can (or wants to) devote resources to this cost-negative project. Unfortunately for Blogger, its stable of amateur pundits are only going to tolerate so much technical uncertainty before they jump ship and move to a new URL.

For now, I'm committed to Blogger, but I expect more from a service owned by the premier online brand.
</boring, esoteric whine>

No comments: