Monday, November 17, 2003

Wally and the Pointy-Haired Boss at an Offsite Meeting

While I’m a huge fan of Dilbert and The Simpsons, I occasionally worry that these series possess a lifeless, timeless repetition. Although it’s often a point of strength, I’m sometimes bothered when there’s not an underlying plot furthered by the current action. Occasionally, these series break out of their molds, like when Maude Flanders died in November 2000. Maude's death changed the status quo for the Simpsons, dividing their episodes into BMD (Before Maude's Death) and AMD.

With this in mind, I was really pleased to see this Sunday’s Dilbert comic, which I overinterpret as providing a glimpse into the characters of Wally and the Pointy-Haired Boss.

Wally’s perpetual evasion of down-sizing makes so much more sense now that I know these two bumblers share a weekend pew.

No comments: