Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Holy Tango Anthology of Literature

In the Holy Tango Anthology of Literature, Francis Heaney explores the important question of "what would happen if poets and playwrights wrote works whose titles were anagrams of their names."

Some choice bits:

I WILL ALARM ISLAMIC OWLS
WILLIAM CARLOS WILLIAMS

I will be alarming
the Islamic owls
that are in
the barn

and which
you warned me
are very jittery
and susceptible to loud noises

Forgive me
they see so well in the dark
so feathery
and so dedicated to Allah


nice smug me
e. e. cummings

this here verse’s
disjunct
     i used to
     stick to regular metered
               poetry
now i write onetwothreefourfive poemsjustlikethat
                    Jesus

but this is simple work
            and what i want to know is
how much am i going to get paid for this
mister editor

Thanks, Jon!

No comments: