Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Reverend Al, Thrilling One Side of the Aisle.

This may be the rough transcript of Al Sharpton's speech, but it fails to capture the incredible fire that Reverend Sharpton brought onstage with him. We watched on C-SPAN, and I worry that the networks missed his speech entirely.

Powerful oratory has always made my eyes water, and Sharpton's delivery put a lump in my throat. It strikes me that the little guy will always have an advantage in public speaking, for his social standing permits him to nearly yell behind the podium. People in power can't bellow. Reverend Al can really bellow.

Go get 'em, Al.

2 comments:

Andy said...

Audio of the entire speech can be found here.

Andy said...

On last night's Fresh Air, Bill Maher said that Al Sharpton's speech was the first political speech that ever made him cry.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was choked up.